The Plague Cross

We recently renamed our ‘Solid Rectangular Cross’ to ‘The Plague Cross’. Sure, ‘Solid Rectangular Cross’ pretty much sums up completely what the ring is, but it doesn’t exactly ooze creativity or excitement. At times of plague, people were asked to mark the doors of the victims of the disease with a large, painted cross to raise awareness. These were initially painted on in either red or black paint, before later on being affixed to the doors.

In 1665, the Mayor of London stated in one of his regulations:

Every house visited (by the disease) be marked with a red cross of a foot long in the middle of the door, evident to be seen, and with these usual printed words, that is to say, “Lord, have mercy upon us,” to be set close over the same cross, there to continue until lawful opening of the same house.

With rumours of The Great Frog being built upon a plague pit and plague remains having been found closely on Marshall Street, renaming the ring to “The Plague Cross” seemed not just fitting, but also reassuring – you can never be too safe, right?